Thursday, November 5, 2015

More is Less

I don't know what happened this week, but my busy world somehow slowed down. I felt a balance that I've been searching for over the course of this semester hit me all at once. I'm not expecting it to completely stay as finals approach, but I want to relish in it. I want to remember this precious lesson that makes my heart so happy: More really is less. 

With more time on my hands, I feel happier. I can ponder my life and evaluate things I need to personally change. I have time to sleep, exercise, and feel a little extra healthy. I feel the Spirit more, perhaps because I take time to notice it. I get to love the people I love the most a little extra. I am more grateful for all sorts of things, big and small. 

When I simplify my life, I'm happier. 

Throughout this week, I've developed a deeper conviction to simplify my to-do list. I know I'll have insanely busy times in every stage of life, but I'm continuing to process that finishing my to do list is not the most important part of my day. The most important parts of my day are all the things that surround the to-do list. Experiencing, loving, and living those moments are really what I want out of my daily life. 

And because I absolutely adore President Uchtdorf, I'll wrap this up with one of my favorite quotes. 
"It’s rather easy to be busy. We all can think up a list of tasks that will overwhelm our schedules. Some might even think that their self-worth depends on the length of their to-do list. The wise...resist the temptation to get caught up in the frantic rush of everyday life. They follow the advice “There is more to life than increasing its speed."...They focus on the things that matter most."

 So now that I've learned this lesson, it's time to put it into practice when life is crazy again. Gotta love challenges. Happy November!

1 comment: