Thursday, July 9, 2015

Moments of Inspiration

There have been very distinct points in my life where I can see that I am on a good, comfortable path. And then, a bell goes off in my head and I am continually reminded that there is a better path I haven't considered.  Naturally, it's always a scarier, more challenging path (makes me feel like Chad's facial expression on the right).


A decision has to be made. Do I stick with the easy path that I'm content and comfortable with, or do I pick a better, unknown, scary path that feels right?


My life is littered with these little moments of (somewhat bothersome) inspiration. The first one I remember acting on was when I was 17 and deciding who to room with my first year at BYU. I had one comfortable option that I knew and liked, and yet I felt the Spirit whisper to ask another girl I didn't know as well. These moments have continued over the last 5 years, helping me to continually pick the better path, instead of the good path my safe self naturally heads toward.

Without these moments of revelation, I wouldn't have found a kindred spirit in my freshman roommate, (who also introduced me to my future husband-fun side note). I wouldn't have gone to Cambridge as a naive 19 year old and fallen in love with school and England. I wouldn't have applied soon enough to go to Jerusalem. I wouldn't have had the courage to leave all that was safe and homey to serve a mission that helped me become so much more of who I'm meant to be. I wouldn't have started dating Chad so quickly after my mission.

And even this week, I wouldn't be at the point I'm at with school. Since getting home from my mission, I've had a very clear plan when it comes to my education. I like it that way. (Doesn't everyone?) But this week after someone asked a simple question, the Spirit began whispering repeatedly again that there was a better way than the one I was holding so tightly to.

So here's to harder, scarier, better paths. These are the paths that lead us closer to Heavenly Father, and therefore, closer to complete happiness. Thank goodness for moments when the Spirit inspires us to change our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment