Saturday, February 23, 2013

Oh Happy Day

So, I’m sitting here in a strange state of exquisite happiness. I have one of my new favorite playlists going with all sorts of music I’d forgotten about. I have a diet coke in reach and after two weeks of lots and lots of water, it’s tasting all the more divine. I just finished chatting with the darling Julinanners for a solid half hour and hearing her kiddies on the other end of the line was all sorts of lovely. I have the Sisterhood of the Cam jacket on and am feeling oh so loved from my besties far away. I taught my second missionary discussion in a surprise lesson during my mission prep class this evening and though it was on the spot and rather flustering, I loved it; it felt so good to teach about the gospel. I am currently awaiting my mission call and making plans about how I am going to open it is just so real…I LOVE it. And tomorrow I’m headed to Tel Aviv to touch the Mediterranean, explore the flea market, eat yummy food, and go to a synagogue for the Purim celebration reading (of Ester story). Life is wonderful. Alright, alright…it’s time to share the more “picturesque” moments with you.

Earlier this week, we only had an hour of class (talk about the best day ever). A large group of us ventured out to the other churches dotting the Mount of Olives that we live on. First stop was the Russian Orthodox Church of the Ascension (traditionally spot where Christ is believed to have ascended to Heaven). After walking through a rather rough neighborhood, this darling church was stunning. The city noise disappeared and the crazy gorgeous flowers popped out of nowhere. I wish the Garden of Gethsemane had an olive tree garden like this. This place welcomed the spirit so much more.  (P.S. Please fall in love with that lovely door.)







Our next destination was what we casually refer to as the Golden Onion. From the city, all you can see of this Russian Orthodox Church is the strangely shaped gold tops. Seriously, they look like onions. Anyway, this is another traditional spot believed to be the birthplace of Mary Magdalene. No idea how likely that is, but still cool.  



Later this same day, we had a mock Jewish Passover Seder dinner. After our Arab culture night a few weeks ago, this was a completely different feel, but still so good. We took part in every bit of the traditional evening meal from the readings, musical numbers, and scavenger hunt, to the bitter herbs, delicious grape juice, and unleavened bread. I love gaining a better understanding of other cultures and religions. It is such a privilege to be here! Oh and yes...I was in of the musical numbers. We sang a Hebrew song. Die Ayy New is what the chorus sounded like...good luck understanding that one.




Side notes:
1. If given the option should you learn an Israeli folk dance or a traditional Arab dance? ISRAELI FOLK DANCE!! Love that we learned. No pictures….sorry!
2. Quote of the Day: “Was that a raindrop or did my tear just fall that far?” I love bonding moments on the balcony with Hannah Karina. She is all kinds of lovely.
3. New obsession: Voice memos from Jaclyn Michele. BEST THING EVER.
4. I GET MY MISSION CALL THIS WEEK. AGHHHHHHH.
5. Yes, I am working on the lighting issues with the camera I am borrowing! Promise to get better!
6. I adore you all!
7. What's coming in my blogging world: "The BEST of the Left-Over Photos Never Before Shared"/ "New Hero: My Holocaust Survivor Experience"
8. Jaclyn, I have honestly been trying to drop the word persnickety in here and couldn't find a place. It's officially my favorite word. Hope you love it. 

2 comments:

  1. This post was very aptly titled. It made me feel so happy just reading it. And the pictures are great, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are not in the least bit persnickety. love your details. love your words.

    ReplyDelete