Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Let's Play Catch Up

Ready for another wiggidity wack post?
Get excited. This one is all over the place.

Welcome to the Open Air Jewish Market, home to delicious pomegranate juice, scrumptious apples, tasty pecans, and all sorts of baked goods. Be sure to come once you've become acquainted to Israel a bit...you must be ready to embrace the flies on the produce, someone else's bare hands touching everything before you eat it, and the circling birds. Thus the "open air" concept. I'm over it - SO YUMMY. 



 Hezekiah's Tunnel was oh so impressive. We trekked through the water-filled tunnel in our lovely water shoes (Thanks Madre-your water shoes from the 90's worked perfectly) and fancy-pants head-lamps. Hezekiah sure was a brilliant King of Judah. Those Assyrians didn't stand a chance without a water source outside the city walls.



The Pool of Shiloah was where Christ healed the blind man by asking him to wash the clay from his eyes and have faith to receive sight. We had an incredible devotional here. Can I just say that my list of "Waters Touched" is starting to get impressive!?



 All you need to know is that these bagels are DIVINE. 4 shekels for this giant oval and some delicious spices (that do indeed look like drugs). You will never be the same. Well, you will-but not really. Come on...bagels in the Holy Land? Holy Bagels baby. LOVE.  



While it may not be appropriate to have a phone out during Sacrament meeting, I am grateful that my darlingly rebellious friend Lindee captured this moment. I accompanied my friend Ragan during church this past Sabbath while he sang O Lord My Redeemer. It was absolutely wonderful...especially with this view, that ten-foot Steinway, and Ragan's beautiful voice. Our compliment of the day was, "That was the most incredible mistake I have ever heard." Yes yes, you read that right. Ragan coughed and that made him miss a line. I somehow managed to make up a measure and Ragan jumped back in perfectly. It was incredible. Thank goodness we were on the same page.



Hello Valentines Day. And say hello to my darling nook mate once again: Hannah Karina Jackson. I adore her. I love our dance-off study breaks, her hysterical laugh, and her talent at knowing just what to say when I'm having a "I'm going on a mission!!!" freakout. You also should know that people in Israel loved saying "Happy Valentine Day" to us everywhere we went. Valentine's Day (they didn't include the 's' in Valentine's) isn't a big holiday here, but they loved seeing how excited and decked out we were in pink. Ending the night ushering an Argentinian Jazz Concert, watching wedding ceremony fireworks at a nearby hotel, dancing in the gym, and delivering Valentines...was oh so perfect. Favorite Valentine's day ever? Oh yes. 



We went on a field trip to Yad Vashem, the Israeli Holocaust Memorial Museum. This day was indescribable, but there are two things about this museum that I absolutely loved. Yad Vashem references a verse in Isaiah in the Hebrew language. Simply put, it addresses the idea that this generation without posterity is the world's heritage. Yours, mine, and the people all around us. The Jews that suffered in the Holocaust can never be forgotten and in their memory we must strive to love those who we may view as different than ourselves. In addition to the beautiful meaning of Yad Vashem, each and every tree surrounding the museum has a plaque attached. Each tree recognizes a non-Jew who helped save Jews during the Holocaust in some way. I wish I could convey the experience we had that Sunday.

 

After being rushed out the gates at closing time the last time we visited the Temple Mount, we knew we had to return. So here it is all over again to start off our free day in the city. The Al-Asqa Mosque is also on the Temple Mount accompanying the Dome of the Rock. This mosque actually holds more meaning to Muslims than the iconic Dome. I may have tried to slip inside those doors but alas...a soldier yelled at me. It was a nice attempt. Perhaps another day. 




Playing missionary outside the Dome of the Rock. Inappropriate? Probably. But still...I AM SO EXCITED TO GO ON A MISSION. My call should be here within the next 4 days!!



We returned to the Western Wall as well. Monday mornings are famous for the Torah readings and this was the first and only Monday morning we have off this entire semester. As usual, I'm so in love with this wall and the thousands surrounding it. 



The Old City of Jerusalem is split into four quarters. We explored the Jewish Quarter and it may just be favorite quarter. I love the open, bright streets and the jewelry stores! I caved and bought an Eilat stone ring (only found in Israel/Jordan) and it is oh so gorgeous. I bought a widow's mite necklace in the Old City that day too. I'm already so in love. The necklace has such a beautiful meaning tying in with the New Testament story. LOVE. 



Though I may not love the feel of the crowded, dark, and imposing Holy Seplechure atop the place many believe Christ was crucified, it still is a necessary destination to truly capture the essence that is Jerusalem. The amount of different faiths attempting to worship in one small place is astonishing. 



 And last, but certainly not least...Falafel and Shwarma. We have definitely found the best place to buy these delicious meals for so so so cheap. SO yummy.

 

I LOVE YOU ALL. Can't believe you made it through reading this whole post. 

3 comments:

  1. i have skimmed this and i love it. i will study it in more detail tomorrow. love that stolen piano picture. heart you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty girl, I miss you. I loved reading about all that you've experienced. Way to get a solider to yell at you. I want to know your list of waters touched. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two things:
    1. That open air market reminds me a bit of Barcelona. Which is always a good thing to be reminded of.
    2. i was talking to a lady at work that did a couple weeks in Israel and she was telling me about all these spots that she loved... and I thought of you. Great story, i know. But seriously, she made it sound pretty good. I'm so happy you're there right now.

    ReplyDelete